Thursday 27 June 2013

Humming Bird Tour: Kansas City


Yea, certainly this sculpture outside the Kemper Contemporary Art Museum, Tom Otterness' Crying Giant, portrays my feelings about Kansas City.

Seriously, not sure what is up with this town - but I overstayed my welcome for sure! Of course, when I saw this sculpture - I knew I was not alone: how appropriate a MUSEUM would place this image on their front lawn: FORESHADOWING of what was inside!

Poor curating from the get-go. But who am I to judge. Oh wait.

Inside was probably the worst space I have ever seen to install art - I have seen better studio/gallery spaces in the back alley's of the OKC stockyards. Not sure who what why - but my head was hurting - also the museum was extremely frigid - are you feeling my opinion about this museum, let alone Kansas City - unfortunately there was some good art crammed in awkward rooms - and yes I will mention the incorrect spelling of an artists name (prominent artist) on the tag next to his work. Yes I did call the Museum and they seem offended at my polite recommendation to correct the wall tag to not offend the artist let alone, guests of the museum.

Alas,  you can head over to the famous Nelson Atkins Museum, the building/s are much more inviting - sometimes, but really I won't go on too long. If you are stuck in Kansas City, MO for work (I'm sorry) but then you should run down if the weather is good, and check out the beautiful sculpture park - Not the most progressive collection of outdoor sculpture - but a good sampling of recent art history.


If you are so unfortunate as to be in KC this summer - THEN you will want to check out Brad Kahlhamer's Bowery Nation. Truly a wonderful installation. And how exciting to portray a First Nation artist who blends his culture with experience of living in downtown NYC. Kemper Link to Kahlhamer's Bowery Nation.

If you are hungry - I will admit the Museum's cafe, Rozzelle Court Cafe was actually pretty good food. Warm and contemporary with vegetarian options.

Now don't stay long check out Bowery Nation - take some snap shots and RUN to ...




                                                                 The Nerman Museum!

The Nerman Museum is located on Johnson Community College, Overland Park, KANSAS! Not Missouri, Not Kansas City - Kansas! On the Campus of a Community College. And this THIS is what contemporary art is all about - Overland Park - should be a very proud community for housing such a progressive institution of fresh, local, contemporary art. You will see this building, stone cold slab, and yet WANT to go inside, there is a dynamic lights sculpture on the exterior that beckons your entrance.

This small, succinct, and purposeful museum has it all! Truly a place to watch and monitor if you are a fan of contemporary art outside of the coastal realms of east and west. Yes art is happening in flyover states too!

There is even a swank shop a la the Phoenix Museum of Contemporary Art, where you can actually BUY art made by local contemporary artists. LOVE THAT. And if you were as lucky as I, there will be artists hanging out in the shop to chat you up. Bonus. One stop shopping: Curatorial Smarts/Purchasing/Discussion.

My Purchase from the Nerman Museum Gallery-Shop
ps, THEY SHIP! 

Really worth the drive.

Speaking of Kansas I have one word: TOPEKA. This is the place!

Did you know Topeka was the "home" of Brown vs. the Board of Education - no me neither.


Yea, who knew, a National Historic Site! If you want to know more about it here is a link to the National Park Service.
'


Really a bonus gift find - did I mention the people of Kansas are Super Friendly?

Maybe because Topeka has beautiful brick lined roads....? Everything is so picture perfect...



Yea - sorta fell in love with Topeka, maybe it was the friendly people, maybe it was the better roads, maybe the sun was out, maybe the people of KC, MO are so miserable it was like night and day = gosh have you ever been to the Kansas City Airport (MCI): avoid at all costs : OMG.

Seriously - I hope to never have to go back...But Kansas I love YOU!



I think I am now a Jayhawk fan for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment