Monday 10 June 2013

Tree Tomato - Tamarillo

Tree Tomato / Tamarillo

All I can say is that Vamsi and I are obsessed with the Tamarillo! And surely, plenty of you have heard and eaten this fine FINE fruit - but for me (and he) this is a wonderful new taste - and not about to deny our obsession. 

I've tried to do my research and find out who, what, where, and why. There seems to be conflicting accounts of all sorts - but the Tamarillo tree seems to have originated either in South Africa or the Andean Mountains - in fact I also found a source that roots Tree Tomatoes from Jamaica! - yea that's what I said. 



Either way it again seems that somehow Dutch settlers/Missionaries either brought Tamarillo to the new world or brought it back to Africa. Either way - I am finally, FINALLY benefiting from this amazing fruit.

It does seem that New Zealand and its' agricultural industry have taken steps to "own/breed/manage/produce" this wonderful fruit. And unbeknownst to me, ironically, US is the largest importer of Tamarillos! Who knew? Maybe you!


So blah blah blah...let me tell you - these fruits are simply amazing - they are sweet and tart and have a "tomato" after taste that is sublime!  The fruits arrive in a variety of colors from yellow, browns, and reds. they are in fact egg shape, and BEAUTIFUL.

Once they are ripe you can tell by their firmness, cut them in half lengthwise like so...



Is your mouth watering yet? Because mine is!

Next, take a spoon and scoop out the "insides." Seeds/pulp/juice and all! Proceed to eat from spoon!
MMMMM....


It is that good - and if you have had a Tamarillo, you know! And if you have had one and never shared this magic with me; p'shaw!

Here are some nutrition facts for my friends who need that kind of information:



I have read here and there how Tamrillos are sliced and put a top cakes and pastries - and mostly utilized and appreciated as a dessert. All well and fine - but the tomato flavor really makes me want to use this fruit in a savory format.

Tonight for dinner - I scooped out and chopped 8 Tamarillos, scooped half a large Avocado (they grow them BIG here in Kenya), added a tablespoon of olive oil, half a key lime juice, and salt to taste.
Mixed, stirred and served in a small bowl, topped with toasted salted sunflower seeds! YUM!

But I found these simple recipes online! Hope you can find a Tamarillo tonight!






No comments:

Post a Comment